Potato & Mushroom Curry + Ratatouille
When you think of travelling in your caravan, you often don’t think of the adventures inside. We jumped inside the NextGen Greyline caravan to enjoy some cooking adventures with Chef Mick Capelli at the Scarborough Holiday Village. With a spacious interior kitchen and the Weber out the back, Chef Mick gathered local vegetables, herbs and a few pantry staples to create a Potato & Mushroom Curry and a hearty Ratatouille.
POTATO & MUSHROOM CURRY
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and potato.
Cover, then cook over a low heat for 5 mins until the potatoes start to soften.
Throw in the eggplant and mushrooms, then cook for a few more minutes.
Stir in the curry paste, pour over the stock (water)and coconut milk.
Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins or until the potato is tender.
Stir through the coriander and serve with rice or naan bread.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped into small chunks
- 1 eggplant, trimmed and chopped into chunks
- 250g button mushrooms
- 2-4 tbsp curry paste (depending on how hot you like it)
- 150ml vegetable stock or water
- 400ml can reduced-fat coconut milk
- Chopped coriander, to serve
This hearty country dish from the Provence region of France is an easy mix of seasonal vegetables, garlic, and olive oil. It is a great side with any protein really; meat, chicken or fish. As we have done here, you can also have it as a meal with cous cous (we used pearl cous cous), rice or risoni (rice shaped pasta).
Once you have chopped all your vegetables, we like to start with cooking off the eggplant. Once it’s caramalised a bit and softened, remove from pan and set aside. until you have also
Cook off the capsicum and set aside.
Now add diced red onion, zucchini, garlic and cook off until garlic starts to caramalise.
Add the eggplant and capsicum back in with the other vegetables, adding the diced (or tinned tomatoes. You can also add a cup of red wine here if you wish.
Now add the fresh (or dried herbs) and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with cous cous, rice or desired protein.
- 1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 55 grams Garlic (~3 large cloves, roughly chopped)
- 500 grams Red Onions (2 large onions, diced)
- 120 grams Capsicum- red, yellow or green (2 medium Capsicum, cored, seeded and sliced)
- 700 grams Tomatoes (6 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into 8 pieces) – You can use 2x 400gm tins of crushed or Diced Tomato
- 400 grams eggplants (1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 700 grams Zucchini (2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 1/4 cup packed Flat leaf parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup packed Basil (roughly chopped)
- Sprigs Thyme – You can use dried herbs, but the park where you’re staying may have fresh!
- Teaspoons Salt (to taste)