Question #1: What are the benefits of an annual caravan service and repair check?
The off-season is the perfect time to have your caravan serviced or repaired, especially in preparation for any upcoming weekend getaways or extended holidays. It’s also very surprising to see how many people invest in an RV, yet do not book in for a regular caravan service or repair. With an ever-growing list of reasons for booking your RV in for a routine check, here are a few benefits you should know:
- Ensure road safety while on your travels – protect your family and friends from point A to B
- Maintain your manufacturer’s warranty – it’s your duty of care to maintain your RV’s roadworthiness
- Upkeep wearable parts – It’s essential to check the wheels, bearings, brake pads, breakaway cables and nuts/bolts from deterioration
- Avoid personal injury – don’t spoil your next adventure with a trip to the emergency room
- Avoid expensive repair costs from unexpected accidents – you can save thousands
- Upkeep the value of your new or used RV – a sound investment that shouldn’t be overlooked
- Pack-up and leave wherever/whenever with confidence – “Let’s hit the road tomorrow!”
Question #2: What is involved in a caravan service or repair?
Caravan repairs and servicing are just as important as one another. If you’re unsure of what’s involved, we’ve compiled a comprehensive guide below for you to clearly understand what a qualified RV mechanic will address in a regular RV service:
- All moving components inspected
- RV Brake inspection / repair
- RV Bearings and wheel hubs check / repair
- Tyres and rims / repair
- Chassis and suspension components / repair
- Full inspection of body components / repair
- RV springs and shackles checked for wear and possible repair
- Outriggers, chassis rails, cross-members and A-frames checked for damage/fatigue
- RV peripheral fittings and components / repair
- External lights and wiring connections
- RV Water tanks and plumbing mountings / repair
- Hoses inspected for integrity and protection / repair
- RV tents and awnings / repair
- Handbrake cable adjusted and checked / repaired
- Hitch, Jockey wheel and jacks lubricated for ease of operation
Question #3: What should you look for in a caravan service centre or RV mechanic?
More often than not, finding a caravan mechanic who offers a hassle-free experience and no hidden extras can be difficult. Transparency is key, and by doing a little bit of homework beforehand, you can save yourself time, money and unnecessary stress – something we’re all trying to avoid!
Take a look below to view our list of must-have service qualities every professional caravan mechanic should have.
- Trustworthy – Are they an established business and do they offer the details of every service check?
- Qualified professional – Are they an experienced servicing technician and transparent with their qualifications?
- Onsite resources – Do they have complete access to a full parts department to ensure timeliness in your service and no unexpected delays?
- Cost-effective Solutions – Will they provide a service quote upfront and immediately get in touch with you to confirm urgent repairs?
- Practical location – Does the business location offer easy access for large towing vehicles? (e.g. off the highway and large carpark spaces)
Question #4: How much does an RV or caravan service cost?
Depending on the type of service (First, Intermediate, Annual or Premium) and whether your RV is on a single or tandem axle, a typical service could run from $220 – $528. It is also highly recommended a service every 10,000km’s or once every 12 months, whichever comes first. Just like any vehicle service, you should treat your home away from home with the same level of maintenance.
Now that you know the importance of a regular caravan service, what’s involved, selecting a mechanic and how much it should cost, don’t put off booking in any longer! Leave your next caravan service to the qualified experts and enjoy your next RV holiday without the added stress.